Thursday, January 12, 2012

Day 4

It's showbiz. You have to get out and promote your show.

Today three of us took part in a photo shoot for The Advertiser Newspaper. We all put on our glitziest outfits and headed for The Promethean theatre, where we were interviewed by Arts reporter Patrick Macdonald. Then photographer Naomi put us through our paces. We were draped on couches, pouted, kicked up our heels, sprawled on steps and almost stopped the traffic outside the theatre at 11 am.

While this was happening, it occurred to me that we made a strange group - a burlesque dancer, a professional comedienne and an escaped lawyer. Never mind the fact that I'm 20+ years older than the other two. What a fun morning we had, and we remained in costume to return to Summer School, to show the others how we presented for the shoot. Next time, I'd wear more makeup and glitzier shoes. A ukelele makes a good prop....

Meanwhile, the others were into a comedy workshop with the wonderful Jo Coventry. We were asked to tell of a funny or weird experience, then we identified the funny bits, and examined how it could be made funnier. Lots of laughs.

Jo remained with us after lunch, to help us in rehearsing our 10-minute shows.

Yessss! I have a show. The concept has come together gradually. I've continually made notes during this week. Every time I think of a fragment of an idea, I write it down - these thoughts can vanish as quickly as they appear.

We heard a great variety of stories - everyone has had life experiences that can make a good story, and can be humorous. You have to pay attention to where people laugh - often in unexpected places. What you think is ordinary can be fascinating to someone who doesn't inhabit your world.

I was determined to present my show in as complete a form as possible. Saturday is not far away. And input from the group can be gold. As a speaker, I know that every time you get up and speak, you'll be better next time. Stage time, stage time. Seeing how a line goes across, and feeling what it's like to say the words, help to crystallize your thinking. One by one, problems are solved and the concept comes together as a whole.

These segments have been percolating all week. Everyone's come up with an intriguing piece - a window on their life. Over the years, when I've been asked to speak or write, I've learned that I can trust myself to "come up with something" - you just have to give it time and attention.

Tomorrow we go into the theatre to rehearse, ready for the big event on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment